Week Beginning 07/10/19
- This week in English we have been using 'show don't tell' language to describe feelings and features of appearance. Also, we have been learning how to create mystery in our writing.
- This week in Maths we have been learning about multiples and how to identify multiples of a given number at speed - ask your child what rules they remember for finding multiples of 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9 and 10.
- This week in PE, Year 5 children created and performed a sequence of balances and travels (including rolling) on apparatus.
- This week in RE, we learned about how churches vary around the world and the features inside and out of a church or cathedral.
Week Beginning 30/10/19
- This week in English we have been writing a setting description. The children have learned that by describing the temperature, sights, noises and smells we can 'paint a picture' in the reader's mind.
- This week in Maths we have been practising column addition and subtraction: learning how to use the inverse to check answers and find missing numbers, as well as applying these skills to solving a range of multi-step problems.
- In Science this week we have been learning about 'night and day internationally' and exploring time zones on Earth.
- In Guided Reading this week we have been learning to improve our inference skills by looking at what characters say and how they behave, and what we can infer from these comments and actions.
Week Beginning 23/09/19
- This week in English we have been learning to start our sentences using a variety of fronted adverbials, using ISPACED, and continue to include expanded noun phrases to add description and detail.
- This week in Maths we have been learning to calculate with negative numbers (through zero) and have been practising column subtraction and addition.
- This week in Topic we have been learning about how to stay safe around water, especially near rivers, lakes and seas.
- This week in Science we have been learning about the planets in our solar system, including the order of the planets from the Sun - ask your child if they can remember the mnemonic!
Week Beginning 16/09/19
- This week in English we have been learning how to recognise and use 'expanded noun phrases' as a way of enhancing our writing. In addition, we continue to revisit our learning of proper nouns.
- This week in Maths we have been learning to round numbers using our poetic verse to help us.
- This week in Topic we learned about hop farming in Kent and what work was carried out in oast houses across the county.
- This week in PE we have been learning a range of balances, and have explored ways to 'move out' of these in order to create a sequence.
Week Beginning 09/09/19
- This week in English we have been learning how to use persuasive devices to create a radio advert for a door stop. The children performed their advert to the rest of the class.
- This week in Guided Reading we have been learning to retrieve information from our new class text 'Holes' by Louis Sachar.
- This week in Maths we have been learning to read, write and compare numbers, as well as consolidate our understanding of Roman numerals.
- This week in Art children have been learning to use step-by-step guides to improve their drawing skills.